Have you noticed as soon as you get into a car with a kid, they are hungry! Here are lots of kid-friendly snack ideas for your family road trip! Getting to your family destination should be fun too! Be prepared and bring a variety of snacks with you in the car for your kids. This is how traveling with kids has to be. Am I right?
My original thought on this post was to share with you some mess-free snack ideas. And then reality hit me and I remembered how my kids can make a huge mess while eating a cheese stick! Here is a list of 27 kid-friendly snack ideas for your next road trip.
I love snack size bags as they are only about half the size of a sandwich bag. This is good because you can make up many bags of different snack items knowing if they get bored with one snack, they can take another bag, also I know where my kid’s hands have been and to be quite honest, I don’t want their snot-nosed hands or their hands-in-their-pants on all the snacks. Small snack bags are the way to go!
- APPLES – Wash and pack whole apples for them to bite into. If you must slice them, toss them with some lemon water before packing them up.
- APPLESAUCE – They come in a variety of brands and flavors.
- BANANA – Pack the whole banana. No need to peel until it’s ready to be eaten.
- BEEF JERKY – Buy it or make your own
- BLUEBERRIES – Easy for little hands
- CARROT STICKS – Sticks or baby carrots are a great crunchy stack and no mess!
- CEREAL – Cheerios or other fun cereal can be added to small snack bags.
- CELERY STICKS – Another great crunchy snack with no mess.
- CHEESE STICKS – Easy to eat and unless they are smashing it up into pieces, it’s pretty mess-free.
- CRACKERS – Ritz crackers makes snack size sleeves that are great for throwing into your snack bag or get a sleeve of Graham crackers.
- CUCUMBERS – We love them sliced up with a sprinkle of salt.
- DRIED CRANBERRIES – Another great addition to be added to your own trail mix
- FRUIT GUMMY SNACKS – Sometimes a little sugar is a good thing – like when you’re trying to keep them awake!
- GOLDFISH – Throw a handful into a snack bag. They come in a variety of flavors and kids love them!
- GRANOLA BARS – These come in a variety of brands and flavors. I like them because it fills them up a little bit longer.
- GRAPES – Throw them in the freezer first for a juicy treat!
- NUTS – My kids love salted or honey-roasted peanuts.
- ORANGES – We love the clementine oranges and as they are eating them, your car will smell good too!
- PEPPERONI – The bagged up pepperoni is great snack in the car and no mess!
- POPCORN – Can be messy but it’s a fun snack to eat
- PRETZELS – Get snack pack size or put a handful into a snack-sized bag.
- RAISINS – Easy to eat and mess free! Mix them up in the same bag as the peanuts for fun snack for kids that love both!
- SNACK PACKS – the mini bags of Cheese-itz, Doritos and other fun chips
- TEDDY GRAHAMS – they come in honey-graham, cinnamon or chocolate – take one or a mix!
- WATERMELON – Slice it up but be sure to keep the rind on so your little ones can eat it easier by holding the rind.
- YOGURT – know, I know..you’re thinking really yogurt in MY car, but if your child is not a toddler, than they do make good snacks for the car. We love Stonyfield yogurt squeezers and they now make them in pouches as well which are even less risk of mess!
- YOGURT RAISINS– A twist on raisins As long as you actually buy the yogurt and not chocolate raisins, this can be a relatively mess-free snack.
Finally pack up a couple of extra shopping bags for trash, napkins and a container of wipes. Perhaps a big container of wipes! Always pack more water than you think you’ll need and now you’re ready to go!
Originally published March 2018. Updated March 2019.