Road trip snacks for kids are essential when in the car, especially when heading out for the day or a longer road trip.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether we are out for a few hours for a day trip excursion or in the car for an overnight trip. Road trip snacks are an essential item to pack for the car. No matter what their age, food for the car help to keep kids happy. Often times, we aren't even out of the driveway and my boys are asking if I brought snacks!
Now that they are a bit older, they are able to help pack up their own snacks which is not only a great help but they get to pick out exactly what they want for the car trip.
Is there such a thing as mess-free snacks? Well, to be quite honest, my kids can make a huge mess while eating a cheese stick. So, I included 27 kid-friendly snack ideas that are favorites with it comes to kids. This list should give you ideas for your next road trip with the kids in the car.
I love snack size bags as they are only about half the size of a sandwich bag. This is good because you can make up many bags of different snack items knowing if they get bored with one snack, they can take another bag. Also, I know where my kid's hands have been and to be quite honest, I don't want their snot-nosed hands or their hands-in-their-pants on all the snacks. Small snack bags are the way to go!
ROAD TRIP SNACKS FOR KIDS
- APPLES - Wash and pack whole apples for them to bite into. If you must slice them, toss them with some lemon water before packing them up.
- APPLESAUCE - They come in a variety of brands and flavors. Don't forget a plastic spoon!
- BANANA - Pack the whole banana. No need to peel until it's ready to be eaten.
- BEEF JERKY - Buy it or make your own
- BLUEBERRIES - Easy for little hands.
- CARROT STICKS - Sticks or baby carrots are a great crunchy stack and no mess!
- CEREAL - Cheerios or other fun cereal can be added to small snack bags.
- CELERY STICKS - Another great crunchy snack with no mess.
- CHEESE STICKS - Easy to eat and unless they are smashing it up into pieces, it's pretty mess-free.
- CRACKERS - Ritz crackers makes snack size sleeves that are great for throwing into your snack bag or get a sleeve of Graham crackers.
- CUCUMBERS - We love them sliced up with a sprinkle of salt.
- DRIED CRANBERRIES - Another great addition to be added to your own trail mix
- FRUIT GUMMY SNACKS - Sometimes a little sugar is a good thing - like when you're trying to keep them awake!
- GOLDFISH - Throw a handful into a snack bag. They come in a variety of flavors and kids love them!
- GRANOLA BARS - These come in a variety of brands and flavors. I like them because it fills them up a little bit longer.
- GRAPES - Throw them in the freezer first for a juicy treat!
- NUTS - My kids love salted or honey-roasted peanuts.
- ORANGES - We love the clementine oranges and as they are eating them, your car will smell good too!
- PEPPERONI - The bagged up pepperoni is great snack in the car and no mess!
- POPCORN - Can be messy but it's a fun snack to eat
- PRETZELS - Get snack pack size or put a handful into a snack-sized bag.
- RAISINS - Easy to eat and mess free! Mix them up in the same bag as the peanuts for fun snack for kids that love both!
- SNACK PACKS - the mini bags of Cheese-itz, Doritos and other fun chips
- TEDDY GRAHAMS - they come in honey-graham, cinnamon or chocolate - take one or a mix!
- WATERMELON - Slice it up but be sure to keep the rind on so your little ones can eat it easier by holding the rind.
- YOGURT - We love yogurt squeezers and they now make them in pouches as well which are even less risk of mess!
- YOGURT RAISINS- A fun twist on raisins. As long as you actually buy the yogurt and not chocolate raisins, this can be a relatively mess-free snack.
ROAD TRIP TIPS
- Depending on the length of the trip, pack up about 3 or 4 snacks for each child.
- Don't forget they will need snacks for the way home as well.
- Throw everything in a cooler with a few ice packs. Remember to keep chips and crackers either on top or outside of the cooler, so as it doesn't become a big soggy mess!
- Pack up a couple of extra shopping bags for trash, napkins and a container of wipes. Perhaps a big container of wipes!
- Always pack more water than you think you'll need!
MORE FUN TRAVEL TIPS FOR YOUR NEXT ROAD TRIP
- Tips on Getting the Kids to Sleep while Traveling
- Best Month to Plan a Road Trip
- Must-Have Travel Accessories